Burundi to host East African art festivalBy XINHUA | Wednesday, April 11 2012 at 12:57
The Burundian capital Bujumbura will host activities of the East Africa Art Biennale (ESTAFAB) on April 13-28, festival chairperson Rose Ndayiragije, told reporters in Bujumbura.
"This is one of unique opportunities for Burundi to host such a big event because our country will be able to sell its art and traditional authentic wealth," Ms Ndayiragije said on Tuesday.
"Besides expositions, notably from Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo and China, residents in the capital Bujumbura will also enjoy cultural exhibitions including modern music shows, poems, drama and comedy," she said.
According to the ESTAFAB-Burundi, discussions and a workshop will be organised during the period.
"Those discussions will gather artistes with local and international experts in the art sector as well as university students," said Ms Ndayiragije.
The ESTAFAB-Burundi event coincides with preparations for the country’s 50th independence anniversary celebrations slated for July 1, and the organisers are calling on Burundians to "take advantage of the event" to showcase the East African country's "cultural richness".
- London terror suspect had been detained in Kenya
- Why Obama is visiting Tanzania
- Somalia lists 1,345 foreigners in Mogadishu
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Sierra Leone gay activist narrowly escapes death
- After Berlin Man, two reported cured of HIV in Kenya
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Tough life for Eritreans two decades after independence
- ICC to 'explore other options' if Kenya fails to cooperate
Beyond the ballot