Mauritius ups renewable energy push with $65m deal By LINLEY BIGNOUX | Monday, August 12 2013 at 16:23
Mauritius has signed a deal worth $64.6 million as it seeks to generate 60 megawatts of renewable energy in the next two years.
According to senior officials from the Central Electricity Board (CEB), the island nation will have the power plugged into to its grid after signing agreements with Aerowatt France and Saraco solar farms.
Government-run Mauritian Energy Supply Purchase Agreements (MESPA) signed the contract with Saraco solar firm for the construction of solar panels, which will be expected to yield 15 megawatts.
French firm Aerowatt was awarded a 9-megawatt wind farm project at Plaine des Roches in Rodrigues Island.
Speaking to journalists in Ebene, CEB’s Chairman Balraj Narro said the new alternative energy contracts would further enhance green power development using the latest technology.
He said the current projects on the island are forecast to generate 60 megawatts by the end of 2015 using solar and wind technologies.
Mr Naroo added that CEB also penned a contract with Suzlon Pad Green for a wind farm generating approximately 30 megawatts currently on outer island Rodrigues last year.
CEB Director General Shyam Thannoo said the new energy technologies would help reduce the island nation's reliance on fossil fuels while cutting carbon emissions.
According to the country’s Ministry of Finance, the island nation has forked out $277 million on alternative energy development projects since 2011.
Last month, the Ministry of Environment outlined $208 million to be spent on sustainable development projects; more than half of the fund was allocated to producing solar and wind energy.
Your advice to Namibia's third president Hage Geingobspeak out
Read Story: Your advice to Namibia's third president Hage Geingob
- Pygmies demand end to discrimination in Congo
- The statue of an imperialist dividing a South African university
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Symbolic Buhari win in Aso Rock polling unit
- Ugandan singer Chameleon’s brother AK47 dies
- Nigeria votes in crunch presidential election
- President Kenyatta suspends four cabinet secretaries over graft
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Obasanjo dumps Nigeria's ruling party