Dewji first Tanzanian on Forbes magazine By CITIZEN REPORTER | Tuesday, July 2 2013 at 16:21
Businessman, philanthropist cum politician Mohammed Dewji has become the first Tanzanian to appear in the front cover of the famous business magazine, Forbes.
Dewji, popularly known as Mo will brace the front cover of the Forbes Africa July edition.
In his last week’s speech, Mr Mohammed Dewji, revealed that when he joined the family run business Mohammed Enterprise Tanzania Ltd (METL) in 1999 stood at annual revenue of $26 million.
“Today, our projected revenue for 2013 is just over $1 billion in Tanzania alone, we employ more than 24,000 people and have a diversified group of companies in trading, manufacturing, agriculture, financial services, real estate, mobile telephony and distribution” he said.
According to Mo, the revenue from their group of companies constitutes a little over 3 per cent of the GDP of Tanzania and employs 5 per cent of the formal employment sector.
“In agriculture, METL is the largest landowner in Tanzania with over 60000 hectares to its name. In textiles, we are the largest textile manufacturers in sub-Saharan Africa,” he said.
Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?speak out
Read Story: Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?
- Suspected Al-Shabaab terrorists kill 28 in Kenyan bus
- Former BBA stars mull marriage
- Somali MPs demand Kenyan military withdrawal
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Nigerian Big Brother Africa star Goldie Harvey is dead
- Plague outbreak kills 40 in Madagascar
- Compaore leaves Cote d'Ivoire for Morocco
- S. Africa releases names of Nigeria church collapse victims