Dewji first Tanzanian on Forbes magazine By CITIZEN REPORTER | Tuesday, July 2 2013 at 16:21
Businessman, philanthropist cum politician Mohammed Dewji has become the first Tanzanian to appear in the front cover of the famous business magazine, Forbes.
Dewji, popularly known as Mo will brace the front cover of the Forbes Africa July edition.
In his last week’s speech, Mr Mohammed Dewji, revealed that when he joined the family run business Mohammed Enterprise Tanzania Ltd (METL) in 1999 stood at annual revenue of $26 million.
“Today, our projected revenue for 2013 is just over $1 billion in Tanzania alone, we employ more than 24,000 people and have a diversified group of companies in trading, manufacturing, agriculture, financial services, real estate, mobile telephony and distribution” he said.
According to Mo, the revenue from their group of companies constitutes a little over 3 per cent of the GDP of Tanzania and employs 5 per cent of the formal employment sector.
“In agriculture, METL is the largest landowner in Tanzania with over 60000 hectares to its name. In textiles, we are the largest textile manufacturers in sub-Saharan Africa,” he said.
Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?speak out
Read Story: Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?
- Kenyan security forces thwart Al-Shabaab attack in Garissa County
- US hunter shoots Namibian rhino for $350,000
- Tanzania promises free DNA testing
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Dead Tanzania celebrity's girlfriend speaks out
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Ethiopia election: Real low key affair
- Joy as nun is declared Blessed Irene Stefani in Kenya
- Somali MP killed in Mogadishu attack