13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
- ICC orders Kenya to report on Uhuru wealth
- Cameroon housewife 'who was visited by Jesus'
- Paul Biya - Cameroon's absentee president
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kariba Dam collapse fears and disaster preparedness in Zim
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Somalia likely to have large oil deposits - report
- Mystery of the fate of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls
- US slaps sanctions on Mugabe allies
- Soweto: From bullets to BMWs
War on women