13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
How will you celebrate the 2014 Christmas?speak out
Read Story: How will you celebrate the 2014 Christmas?
- Chad's army drives out Boko Haram from Nigerian town
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- Obasanjo dumps Nigeria's ruling party
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Robert Mugabe to take over the chair of AU
- Zambia's new president undergoes medical check-up
- South Sudan leader 'rushed to hospital in Ethiopia'
- Another season of madness in South Africa's Soweto
- South Africa's apartheid-era 'Mengele' granted parole
- Omar al-Bashir gets Chinese-built presidential palace