13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadiumBy ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
- AU won’t recognise Madagascar poll win by Rajoelina
- Four Nigerians among 5 shortlisted for African writing prize
- Zimbabwe lecturer jailed for Mugabe 'donkey' slur
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Liberia media to maintain 'blackout' on president
- Somali PM disowns Jubaland 'presidents'
- Is aid to South Africa drying up?
- Somaliland marks unrecognised independence
- Juba and Khartoum strike new peace tune
Beyond the ballot