13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
How should the rest of Africa react to the South Africa xenophobia attacks?speak out
Read Story: How should the rest of Africa react to the South Africa xenophobia attacks?
- Somali migrants killed in Macedonia train horror
- Why South Africans hate African migrants
- Zimbabwe repatriates 737 from South Africa
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Dead Tanzania celebrity's girlfriend speaks out
- Uhuru Kenyatta’s Dubai-bound plane forced to turn back
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Spine surgeon changing eastern Congo
- South African shops in Malawi shut in xenophobia boycott