13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- The intriguing love tale of slain South Africa goalie
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The lives of the filthy rich African presidents and their families
- Speculation that Khama's brother could be appointed VP
- French MP demands trial of Thomas Sankara assassins
- I know Sankara's killers, says Burkinabe lawyer
- Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore ousted, army says
- How Malawi flew dead president's body to South Africa
- Zambian leader Michael Sata to be buried on November 11