13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Should African states withdraw from the Rome Statute?speak out
Read Story: Should African states withdraw from the Rome Statute?
- Nigerian soldiers to die for refusing to fight Boko Haram
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kagame warns BBC, tells off donors
- After hounding Mujuru out of office, is Mugabe preparing Grace to take over?
- Interim Zambia leader 'forced' to back party flagbearer
- Tanzania ranked highest in civil liberties survey
- Two men burnt alive in DR Congo
- Zambia ruling party factions 'reconcile'