13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?speak out
Read Story: Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?
- Kenyan security forces thwart Al-Shabaab attack in Garissa County
- US hunter shoots Namibian rhino for $350,000
- Tanzania promises free DNA testing
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Dead Tanzania celebrity's girlfriend speaks out
- Ethiopia election: Real low key affair
- Joy as nun is declared Blessed Irene Stefani in Kenya
- Somali MP killed in Mogadishu attack