13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadiumBy ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
- Uganda varsity sorry for sex video
- Of cheating first ladies and the ''royal kraal''
- Kenyan farmer reaps from quail eggs venture
- Mandela drew his own last breath: reports
- Sudan and Ethiopia agree on border demarcation
- 53 heads of state and government set for Mandela funeral
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Why is she Mrs Graca Machel and not Mrs Graca Mandela?
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Khartoum mediating indirect talks between Ethiopia and Eritrea