13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
- Three women arrested in US for financing Al-Shabaab
- Conflict dynamics on Kenya’s troubled coast
- Former head of state survives as 42 die in twin Nigeria bombings
- Botswana MP threatens to get physical with President Khama
- Cameroon footballer Eto'o sued by ex-girlfriend over nude photos
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- 'Exciting' drug flushes out HIV
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- World Bank advises Ethiopia to devalue currency
- An American indulges daughter with an African 'kingdom'