13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Ebola in Lagos: Is the world losing the war?speak out
Read Story: Ebola in Lagos: Is the world losing the war?
- Nigerian soldiers flee to Cameroon in fear of Boko Haram
- Tensions persist over Botswana opposition leader's death
- Ancient Ethiopian walled city keeps modern life at bay
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Zambia power struggle as doubts grow over Sata's health
- Putative Zambian presidential hopeful fired from cabinet
- Kenyan businessman claims USA 'owns' Ebola virus
- USA official says Ebola epidemic will worsen
- Kenya urges collaboration in war against terrorism