13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Ebola in Lagos: Is the world losing the war?speak out
Read Story: Ebola in Lagos: Is the world losing the war?
- Obama roots for a better Africa
- Sweden resumes aid to Uganda
- Cameroon footballer Eto'o sued by ex-girlfriend over nude photos
- 'Boko Haram' abducts Cameroon deputy PM's wife
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- British Airways to be sued over pilot abuse claims
- Mugabe's wife to get top ruling party top post
- Liberia takes new measures to tame Ebola
- Word health body tells East Africa to decriminalise gay sex