13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Somalia and South Sudan bid for East African Community membership to waitspeak out
Read Story: Somalia and South Sudan bid for East African Community membership to wait
- Nigerian army on alert to capture Boko Haram leader
- Kagame robbed in Uganda
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Who will succeed Kaberuka at African Development Bank?
- Ugandan nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- The lone seven-year-olds leaving home and country behind
- AfrAsia Bank Zimbabwe collapses
- When the City in the Sun became City in the Jam