13 killed in Angola vigil crush at Luanda stadium By ARNALDO VIERA and Agencies | Wednesday, January 2 2013 at 08:39
Some 13 people have been crushed to death and 120 injured in Angola as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for a New Year's Eve vigil, reports say.
According to Paulo de Almeida, an Angolan official , the dead were asphyxiated or crushed at the gates of Luanda's Citadela Desportiva stadium, where a Pentecostal Church was to hold the event.
Far more than an expected 70,000 people attended, said a representative for the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God. The stadium has a capacity of 50,000.
Four children were among the dead, emergency services reported.
The Church was established in 1977 in Brazil, and is represented in more than 100 countries, according to its website.
Was the Nigeria presidential election free and fair?speak out
Read Story: Was the Nigeria presidential election free and fair?
- Zimbabwean pests jailed for stripping woman in public
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Mugabe's wife back in Asia 'for treatment'
- Symbolic Buhari win in Aso Rock polling unit
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- US President Obama to visit Kenya
- UN offers Kenya $40m for Somalia operation
- Pygmies demand end to discrimination in Congo
- The statue of an imperialist dividing a South African university