15 nominees proposed for Malagasy premier postBy RIVONALA RAZAFISON in Antananarivo | Thursday, October 20 2011 at 16:57
Various political parties in Madagascar have proposed 15 aspirants for the post of prime minister following the resignation of Gen Albert Camille Vital and his team on Monday.
The new premier will be chosen through consensus as was directed by the regional bloc- Southern African Development Community (SADC) in an attempt to end the political crisis that has gripped the island in recent years.
Interim President Andry Rajoelina said the consensual appointment would be made by October 26.
“Consultation of each nominee will start from Thursday,” he told journalists in the capital Antananarivo during a meeting with some diplomats.
Three names of the proposed candidates belong to the camp of the ousted president Marc Ravalomanana, who has been living in South Africa since the 2009 coup.
Mr Monja Roindefo, who was the first premier after the 2009 coup and the acting Industry and Economy, are also among the nominees.
Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?speak out
Read Story: Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Tanzania innovator lands $300,000
- Kenya kicks out Nigerians and all hell breaks loose
- Kikwete's big spat with Rwanda
- Nigerian deportee demands pay for Kenyan officials' release
- Tanzania voted Africa’s best safari country
- Nile saga: Ethiopia and Egypt now favour dialogue
- Clinton to visit Senegal ahead of Obama
Beyond the ballot