60 Somali migrants drown in Malawi boat accidentBy REX CHIKOKO in Blantyre | Wednesday, June 20 2012 at 16:21
Over 60 people suspected to be illegal Somali immigrants died after a boat transporting them capsized in Lake Malawi.
The accident, which the police blame on overloading, took place on Monday in northern region of Kaporo.
Police say so far, only 35 dead bodies had been recovered.
The police with the assistance of some local divers were still searching for the remaining bodies.
Malawi is a passage for illegal immigrants en route to South Africa and Europe.
Each year, the country rounds up and deport hundreds of illegal migrants believed to be Ethiopians and Somalis.
- Kenya's President receives TJRC report
- Why Obama is visiting Tanzania
- US 'committed to partnership with Kenya'
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Namibia finds oil for first time
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- It's a tough life for Sierra Leone's gays
- Sudanese leaders to hold talks in Addis Ababa
- Achebe’s body arrives home
Beyond the ballot