Accra shopping mall collapsesBy AGENCIES | Wednesday, November 7 2012 at 15:24
Rescuers Wednesday evening pulled 22 people out alive from the rubble of a collapsed six-storey shopping centre in the Ghanaian capital Accra, a police source said, with at least three people confirmed dead.
“So far, 22 people have been rescued and sent to the hospital for treatment,” a police official said on condition of anonymity.
“We are still searching for survivors.”
An unknown number of victims were feared trapped in the rubble, witnesses said.
Accra's mayor Alfred Oko Vanderpuye, was at the scene with rescue workers who were trying to clear the rubble.
“I was very close to the mall because I was going to buy something only for me to see the building coming down,” witness Ama Okyere said.
“I had to run for my life. I was so terrified. I believe there are lots of people trapped under this because this is a heavily patronised shoping mall in the area.”
Two people were brought out of the rubble alive.
Officials have not commented so far and the cause of the collapse of the Melcom shopping centre was not immediately clear.
“I was on my way to school and all of a sudden heard a big bang and people shouting, only for me to see that the shopping mall has collapsed,” said another witness, John Owusu.
- Uganda varsity sorry for sex video
- Mandela’s ‘deadly sins’: Why Africa’s big men will not miss him
- Kenyan farmer reaps from quail eggs venture
- Of cheating first ladies and the ''royal kraal''
- Zambia angered by Mandela fete 'snub'
- Why is she Mrs Graca Machel and not Mrs Graca Mandela?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- 'Broke' Malawi sends workers on forced leave
- Museveni hails Kenyans for 'defying blackmail'