Al-Shabaab order woman stoned to death for sex offence By ABDULKADIR KHALIF in Mogadishu | Friday, October 26 2012 at 10:52
A young woman was stoned to death Thursday in Somalia after being convicted of engaging in out-of-marriage sex, reports say.
Residents of Jamama town, 425km south of Mogadishu in Lower Juba region, said that militants loyal to Al-Shabaab carried out the stoning at the town’s main square in late afternoon.
“Many residents were called to attend the execution of the punishment,” a resident who requested anonymity for own safety told Kulmiye, an independent broadcaster in Mogadishu.
He added that Al-Shabaab officials in the town witnessed the stoning.
“The woman admitted having out-of-marriage sex,” said an Islamist official who talked to the crowd after the stoning was completed.
“This type of punishments that are compatible with Sharia (Islamic laws) will be administered,” said the official
According to residents, the young woman was picked up from one of the neighbourhoods of the town, but there was no trace of the man partner involved in the alleged offence.
The judicial system of the Al-Shabaab is often criticised by rights groups for lack defence attorneys, proper evidences and harsh punishment, hastily meted out.
Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?speak out
Read Story: Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?
- Suspected Al-Shabaab terrorists kill 28 in Kenyan bus
- East African Standby Force ready for peacekeeping
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Nigerian soldiers flee Boko Haram 'disguised as traders'
- Sata's party fears electoral defeat amid internal rifts
- Former BBA stars mull marriage
- Paul Biya - Cameroon's absentee president
- New Burkinabe leader promises to verify Sankara's burial place