Uganda: British gay rights supporter freed on bail By ANTHONY WESAKA in Kampala | Monday, September 17 2012 at 16:15
British film producer David Cecil Edward Hugh was on Monday Morning released on cash bail of $200 by Makindye Chief Magistrates Court in Kampala after spending the weekend in Luzira Prison.
Hugh was on Thursday last week remanded to Luzira prison for secretively staging a play supporting gay rights in public domain despite a ban by Media Council on the ground that the script was still under review.
The play titled; The River and The Mountain; examines the plight of a man who comes out as a homosexual, but the Ugandan Government persecutes him for his sexual orientation.
Homosexuality is illegal in Uganda and is punishable under section 145 of the Penal Code Act as a crime against morality.
Chief Magistrate Ester Nambayo granted bail to Hugh after he fulfilled all the requirements including producing his passport in court that was retained.
He also produced three substantial sureties, including his wife Florence Kebirungi, who were each bonded at noncash bail of $400.
He is set to return to court on October 18 when the case will be mentioned.
Court records show that Hugh’s woes with the Media Council began on August 13 when he, in pursuant to section 9 (1) (e) and 9 (2) of the Press and Journalist Act, forwarded a soft copy of the script to the Council for appraisal and review.
The controversial play was due to be staged at the National Theatre in Kampala by a group calling itself Tilapia Cultural Centre.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- The lives of the filthy rich African presidents and their families
- The intriguing love tale of slain South Africa goalie
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Burkina Faso parliament set ablaze
- How Malawi flew dead president's body to South Africa
- Zambian leader Michael Sata to be buried on November 11
- Zambia VP Guy Scott named acting leader
- French MP demands trial of Thomas Sankara assassins