Cargo plane crashes at Brazzaville, around 30 dead By AFP | Saturday, December 1 2012 at 12:47
A cargo plane crashed at Brazzaville airport as it was trying to land in a storm Friday, killing around 30 residents and also the crew, emergency services and witnesses said.
Around 30 local people had been killed as the plane skidded off the runway and crashed into houses and a bar in the Congolese capital before crashing into a ravine, said Georgelin Massemba, head of the emergency services. Earlier Friday, emergency services had spoken of around 20 dead.
The crew, numbering three or four people, are thought to have died in the ensuing fire.
Another 20 or so people had been injured in the crash and taken to nearby hospitals, witnesses said.
The Ilyushin plane, registered with local company Aero-services, was flying in from the western port city of Pointe Noire carrying cars and other goods.
A journalist at the scene said the crash happened .
Two hours after the crash, firefighters were still scouring the wreckage to look for victims. Although the plane was to carry freight, they sometimes also carry people other than the crew.
Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?speak out
Read Story: Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Burkina Faso to exhume body of slain ex-leader Sankara
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- New AfDB president to be elected Thursday in Abidjan
- Nigeria fuel crisis paralyses operations in Lagos and Abuja
- Dead Tanzania celebrity's girlfriend speaks out
- Chinese dominance worries Nigeria's textile traders
- Tanzania promises free DNA testing
- Rwandans petition Parliament on Kagame third term