Cargo plane crashes at Brazzaville, around 30 deadBy AFP | Saturday, December 1 2012 at 12:47
A cargo plane crashed at Brazzaville airport as it was trying to land in a storm Friday, killing around 30 residents and also the crew, emergency services and witnesses said.
Around 30 local people had been killed as the plane skidded off the runway and crashed into houses and a bar in the Congolese capital before crashing into a ravine, said Georgelin Massemba, head of the emergency services. Earlier Friday, emergency services had spoken of around 20 dead.
The crew, numbering three or four people, are thought to have died in the ensuing fire.
Another 20 or so people had been injured in the crash and taken to nearby hospitals, witnesses said.
The Ilyushin plane, registered with local company Aero-services, was flying in from the western port city of Pointe Noire carrying cars and other goods.
A journalist at the scene said the crash happened .
Two hours after the crash, firefighters were still scouring the wreckage to look for victims. Although the plane was to carry freight, they sometimes also carry people other than the crew.
Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?speak out
Read Story: Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Nigerian deportee demands pay for Kenyan officials' release
- Ethiopia secures $300m Indian rail loan
- 7 Kenyans held in Lagos over deported 'Nigerian'
- Bill Clinton to visit Senegal ahead of Obama
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Nile saga: Ethiopia and Egypt now favour dialogue
- Nairobi in pictures: Past and present
- Hospital quiet on Museveni birth records mystery
Beyond the ballot