8 killed in fresh Kenyan ethnic violence By BOZO JENJE | Wednesday, January 9 2013 at 11:07
Eight people were killed and nine injured in fresh attacks in the troubled Tana River County Wednesday.
The latest incident occurred at Nduru village where the Orma community was attacked by the Pokomos.
Among the dead were two Orma women, four men and two Pokomo men.
A 14-year-old boy, Adam Goshi, who sat the Kenya Certificate Primary Education (KCPE) exam also died in the attack.
According to the Tana River County chairman Gure Golo, the attackers armed with firearms attacked the village at around 5.30 am and killed people in the isolated village.
Mr Golo said that there is tension in the area that is about 1km from a police post situated at Semikaro.
"It is sad that the killings are going on in the county, while the police that were mandated to bring peace fail to do so but surface after attacks. We are asking them to prevent the attacks and not come after people have lost their lives," he said.
Tana Delta police boss Richard Mukwate confirmed the attack.
The injured were rushed to Malindi District Hospital by the Kenya Red Cross.
The Pokomo attackers, who suffered panga cuts, are at large.
Since last year, the Tana River delta region has seen a spate of violent attacks and counter-attacks pitting the Orma and Pokomo in which scores have died.
Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?speak out
Read Story: Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?
- Suspected Al-Shabaab terrorists kill 28 in Kenyan bus
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- East African Standby Force ready for peacekeeping
- Nigerian soldiers flee Boko Haram 'disguised as traders'
- Sata's party fears electoral defeat amid internal rifts
- Haile Gebrselassie: From athletics to the boardroom
- Former BBA stars mull marriage
- Kenyan warplanes bomb targets in Southern Somalia