Mugabe motorcade in double accidentsBy KITSEPILE NYATHI in Harare | Thursday, June 7 2012 at 19:25
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe’s motorcade was involved in two separate accidents on Wednesday, his spokesman has said.
The accidents, said Mr George Charamba, resulted in injuries to half a dozen of the President's guards and a civilian.
The veteran ruler was on his way to attend the funeral of a headman in his rural home, west of the capital Harare.
In the first accident, a police outrider travelling ahead of President Mugabe’s limousine to clear traffic, rammed into a man, the privately owned Daily News reported.
The rider, the paper reported, was thrown off his bike and sustained serious injuries. The victim was rushed to hospital in a serious condition.
The President’s limousine did not stop.
The second accident was caused by a tyre burst and the half a dozen soldiers in the Landcruiser were taken to hospital with varying injuries.
Mr Charamba refused to disclose more details about the accidents.
Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?speak out
Read Story: Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Nigerian deportee demands pay for Kenyan officials' release
- Ethiopia secures $300m Indian rail loan
- 7 Kenyans held in Lagos over deported 'Nigerian'
- Clinton to visit Senegal ahead of Obama
- Nile saga: Ethiopia and Egypt now favour dialogue
- Nairobi in pictures: Past and present
- Hospital quiet on Museveni birth records mystery
Beyond the ballot