S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: reportBy AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
- Uganda varsity sorry for sex video
- Of cheating first ladies and the ''royal kraal''
- Kenyan farmer reaps from quail eggs venture
- Mandela drew his own last breath: reports
- Sudan and Ethiopia agree on border demarcation
- 53 heads of state and government set for Mandela funeral
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Why is she Mrs Graca Machel and not Mrs Graca Mandela?
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Khartoum mediating indirect talks between Ethiopia and Eritrea