S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: report By AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
- Kariba Dam collapse fears and disaster preparedness in Zim
- South Sudan army admits loss of key oil town
- Somalia likely to have large oil deposits - report
- Burundi demands UN apology after 'arms' accusations
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Gunmen shoot Belgian head of Virunga National Park
- South Sudan rebels vow to attack capital
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Government to register all Kenyans afresh
- US halts invite to Sudan official over row with Juba
War on women