S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: report By AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?speak out
Read Story: Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?
- Kenyan security forces thwart Al-Shabaab attack in Garissa County
- US hunter shoots Namibian rhino for $350,000
- Tanzania promises free DNA testing
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Two shot dead as the Burundi unrest rages
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Mugabe slams 'bully' South Africa
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- UK rejects Burundi court ruling on Nkurunziza third term
- Lesotho opposition leader flees, claiming assassination plot