S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: report By AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
Should African states withdraw from the Rome Statute?speak out
Read Story: Should African states withdraw from the Rome Statute?
- Nigerian soldiers to die for refusing to fight Boko Haram
- Catholic priest accused of child neglect
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya's House chaos attracts global attention
- Tanzania ranked highest in civil liberties survey
- Zambia court halts Banda's presidential bid
- An American claims land on Egypt-Sudan border, makes daughter a 'princess'
- Chaos in Kenya Parliament over security Bill