S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: report By AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?speak out
Read Story: Do you believe there is a plot to kill Robert Mugabe?
- Togo leader rejects presidential term limit
- Kenya bombs targets in southern Somalia
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Haile Gebrselassie: From athletics to the boardroom
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Gambia signs law on life jail for gays
- Embattled Zimbabwe VP ousted from top Zanu-PF organ
- Toyota wins design deal for $4bn regional crude oil pipeline
- Five in court for stripping woman in Kenya