S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: report By AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- The intriguing love tale of slain South Africa goalie
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The lives of the filthy rich African presidents and their families
- French MP demands trial of Thomas Sankara assassins
- Speculation that Khama's brother could be appointed VP
- I know Sankara's killers, says Burkinabe lawyer
- Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore ousted, army says
- How Malawi flew dead president's body to South Africa
- Zambian leader Michael Sata to be buried on November 11