S. Africa's Pistorius arrested after accidentally killing girlfriend: report By AGENCIES | Thursday, February 14 2013 at 10:21
South Africa's Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has been arrested after shooting dead his girlfriend having mistaken her for an intruder, media reported on Thursday.
According to the Beeld newspaper, Pistorius was arrested early Thursday following the shooting.
A police spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that a woman had been found dead at the house but declined to give any more details.
The athlete know as the "Blade Runner" made history in 2012 when he became the first amputee to compete in the Olympics.
He won gold in the 4x400m relay at the Paralympic Games.
He had both legs amputated below the knee before he was aged one, because of a congenital condition, and runs on carbon fibre blades.
Last year Time Magazine named him as one of the world's 100 most influential people.
South Africa has some of the world's highest rates of violent crime and some home-owners carry weapons to defend themselves against intruders, Reuters added.
Ebola in Lagos: Is the world losing the war?speak out
Read Story: Ebola in Lagos: Is the world losing the war?
- 3 killed in dawn grenade attack on Tanzania minibus
- Close shave with Ebola for two South Africans
- Sudan on high alert following Israel threats: Official
- Kenyan businessman claims USA 'owns' Ebola virus
- Ethiopia now Africa's biggest refugee host
- Somali independent radio manager 'in hiding'
- Malema wants Botswana isolated
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Madagascar: Nine die after eating shark meat
- Self-styled healer who sucked Ebola into Sierra Leone