SA diamond miners trapped in deadly collapseBy BBC | Wednesday, May 23 2012 at 14:15
Three illegal miners in South Africa digging for diamonds have been killed and 15 others remain trapped after some tunnels collapsed, police have said.
Thirty men were in the Bontekou mine in Kleinzee in Northern Cape Province when the accident happened in the early hours of Tuesday.
Police said 11 people had managed to escape and raised the alarm.
The rescue operation has been halted to stabilise the area as loose gravel continues to cave into the tunnels.
The tunnels where the accident occurred were closed by the mine early last month.
A national rescue team has now arrived to help with efforts to free the men, the police in Northern Cape said in an statement.
Kleinzee residents gathered at the mine on Wednesday to wait for news of family and friends trapped underground, the South African Press Association reports.
The body of one of the diggers has been recovered.
Another two bodies are visible, but the unstable conditions are preventing rescue workers from retrieving them, the police said
- Why Obama is visiting Tanzania
- Somalia lists 1,345 foreigners in Mogadishu
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Botswana bans fruit and vegetable imports
- After Berlin Man, two reported cured of HIV in Kenya
- Ethiopia's anti-female cut crusader honoured
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Another politician for the Kenya Cabinet
- Tough life for Eritreans two decades after independence
Beyond the ballot