S.African man stoned to death for stealing phoneBy AFP | Monday, May 7 2012 at 18:10
A South African man suspected of stealing a mobile phone from a woman was stoned to death by a mob Monday in the northern town of Polokwane, police said.
"The community rushed to help the screaming woman. The man was caught and beaten with stones," police spokesman Moatshe Ngoepe told the national news agency SAPA.
"He was still covered with stones and various other things the mob used to beat him," he said, adding that a murder investigation has been opened.
Cases of mob justice in crime-ridden South Africa are common, where an average of 43 people are killed every day.
Police estimate that five percent of those killings are acts of vigilante justice.
- Why Obama is visiting Tanzania
- Kisumu, where some folks are eating well, while others are going hungry
- Another politician for the Kenya Cabinet
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Achebe’s body arrives home
- Eritrea's Afeworki: reviled and revered ex-rebel
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Equatorial Guinea to finance key Liberian projects
- After Berlin Man, two reported cured of HIV in Kenya
Beyond the ballot