South African 'serial rapist' Sifiso Makhubo found dead By BBC | Thursday, July 25 2013 at 17:53
A man accused of being one of South Africa's worst serial rapists, Sifiso Makhubo, has been found dead in his prison cell, officials say.
Sifiso Makhubo, who faced 122 charges, including murder, rape and assault, was found hanged with a blanket.
Some charges relate to allegations he infected his victims with HIV.
South Africa has one of the highest rates of sexual violence in the world, with police figures showing that 64,000 cases were reported last year.
The authorities say he was alone in the cell but they are investigating the circumstances of his death.
Mr Makhubo is accused of raping 35 children and two women between January 2006 and February 2011.
So far 33 DNA samples from evidence collected from the victims had been a match with the alleged rapist, reports say.
Somalia and South Sudan bid for East African Community membership to waitspeak out
Read Story: Somalia and South Sudan bid for East African Community membership to wait
- Nigerian army on alert to capture Boko Haram leader
- ICC chief Bensouda expected in Uganda
- Kagame robbed in Uganda
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Who will succeed Kaberuka at African Development Bank?
- Police probe shooting of former Kagame doctor
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Corruption in Africa more widespread than acknowledged
- Sierra Leone rapper in double trouble