South African 'serial rapist' Sifiso Makhubo found dead By BBC | Thursday, July 25 2013 at 17:53
A man accused of being one of South Africa's worst serial rapists, Sifiso Makhubo, has been found dead in his prison cell, officials say.
Sifiso Makhubo, who faced 122 charges, including murder, rape and assault, was found hanged with a blanket.
Some charges relate to allegations he infected his victims with HIV.
South Africa has one of the highest rates of sexual violence in the world, with police figures showing that 64,000 cases were reported last year.
The authorities say he was alone in the cell but they are investigating the circumstances of his death.
Mr Makhubo is accused of raping 35 children and two women between January 2006 and February 2011.
So far 33 DNA samples from evidence collected from the victims had been a match with the alleged rapist, reports say.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- The intriguing love tale of slain South Africa goalie
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The lives of the filthy rich African presidents and their families
- French MP demands trial of Thomas Sankara assassins
- Speculation that Khama's brother could be appointed VP
- I know Sankara's killers, says Burkinabe lawyer
- How Malawi flew dead president's body to South Africa
- Zambian leader Michael Sata to be buried on November 11
- Burkina Faso President Blaise Compaore ousted, army says