South African 'serial rapist' Sifiso Makhubo found dead By BBC | Thursday, July 25 2013 at 17:53
A man accused of being one of South Africa's worst serial rapists, Sifiso Makhubo, has been found dead in his prison cell, officials say.
Sifiso Makhubo, who faced 122 charges, including murder, rape and assault, was found hanged with a blanket.
Some charges relate to allegations he infected his victims with HIV.
South Africa has one of the highest rates of sexual violence in the world, with police figures showing that 64,000 cases were reported last year.
The authorities say he was alone in the cell but they are investigating the circumstances of his death.
Mr Makhubo is accused of raping 35 children and two women between January 2006 and February 2011.
So far 33 DNA samples from evidence collected from the victims had been a match with the alleged rapist, reports say.
Was the Nigeria presidential election free and fair?speak out
Read Story: Was the Nigeria presidential election free and fair?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Zimbabwean pests jailed for stripping woman in public
- Obasanjo dumps Nigeria's ruling party
- Nigeria celebrates Buhari election victory
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Africa's club of super-rich individuals is growing
- Hundreds stranded at Kenya - Tanzania border
- Collapse of president's case 'worst moment for victims'
- US President Obama to visit Kenya