South African 'serial rapist' Sifiso Makhubo found dead By BBC | Thursday, July 25 2013 at 17:53
A man accused of being one of South Africa's worst serial rapists, Sifiso Makhubo, has been found dead in his prison cell, officials say.
Sifiso Makhubo, who faced 122 charges, including murder, rape and assault, was found hanged with a blanket.
Some charges relate to allegations he infected his victims with HIV.
South Africa has one of the highest rates of sexual violence in the world, with police figures showing that 64,000 cases were reported last year.
The authorities say he was alone in the cell but they are investigating the circumstances of his death.
Mr Makhubo is accused of raping 35 children and two women between January 2006 and February 2011.
So far 33 DNA samples from evidence collected from the victims had been a match with the alleged rapist, reports say.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- Two Kenyans admit stealing $3.1 million from US schools
- ‘I survived Ebola to help others fight the disease’
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- Kiir, Machar accept 'responsibility' for civil war
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Somalia likely to have large oil deposits - report
- President Ian Khama faces the challenge of his life but...
- Mugabe's wife snubs Zimbabwe VP