Sudan House wants Egypt star denied entryBy REEM ABBAS in Khartoum | Wednesday, April 11 2012 at 15:12
Sudanese MPs want Egyptian artiste Shereen Abdel Wahab banned from entering the country.
The singer and actress is scheduled to perform in a charity event in Khartoum on Thursday night.
One of the MPs, Mr Dafallah Hassub-Alrassoul, said he would investigate with the relevant ministry to establish whoever invited Abdel Wahab to Khartoum.
"She is a bad sign for the Armed Forces," Mr Hassub-Alrassoul told parliament amidst applause and chants of " God is Great".
He added that her performance would be a bad omen to the Armed Forces as the Sudanese youth were currently in the battlefields and 'we cannot disappoint them'.
"Our soldiers have buried their martyrs and are helping the injured, and some people want to dance," he told parliament.
The Sudanese army clashed with forces from South Sudan in the former's Southern Kordofan State late Tuesday, raising the prospects for further clashes between the two neighbours.
Abdel Wahab performed in Khartoum a few years ago and has a large fan base in Sudan.
Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?speak out
Read Story: Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Nigerian deportee demands pay for Kenyan officials' release
- Ethiopia secures $300m Indian rail loan
- 7 Kenyans held in Lagos over deported 'Nigerian'
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Clinton to visit Senegal ahead of Obama
- Nile saga: Ethiopia and Egypt now favour dialogue
- Nairobi in pictures: Past and present
- Hospital quiet on Museveni birth records mystery
Beyond the ballot