Middle-aged suspected suicide bomber arrestedBy FUNKE OSAE-BROWN in Lagos | Tuesday, May 22 2012 at 15:14
Security agents on Monday arrested a suspected terrorist about to strike the Ministry of Information and the Headquarters of the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria.
The suspect was found with high capacity explosives in an attempt to bomb the 12-story building Radio House, and the National Press Centre in Abuja.
He was arrested by security men shortly before the explosive could be detonated. The middle aged man was in possession of three units of 86-capacity hand grenades and 37 live ammunitions.
The suspect who was about to find his way into the Radio house was stopped for security checks. Inside the polythene bag he was carrying were found explosives and live ammunition.
Coincidentally, the ministers of Aviation and Youths Development, Stella Oduah and Abdullahi Mobolaji respectively were briefing Journalists on the achievements of President Goodluck Jonathan's first year anniversary, at the Press Centre within the building.
The suspected bomber who identified himself as John Akpapu when questioned by journalists said he had been abandoned after the death of his brother.
When further questioned, he said he had discovered the items in his brother's house after his death and that he could not surrender the explosives at the nearest police station because he was afraid.
According to him, his plan was to take the items to one of the radio stations within the building for announcement when he was arrested.
- AU won’t recognise Madagascar poll win by Rajoelina
- Four Nigerians among 5 shortlisted for African writing prize
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Liberia media to maintain 'blackout' on president
- Zimbabwe lecturer jailed for Mugabe 'donkey' slur
- Somali PM disowns Jubaland 'presidents'
- Juba and Khartoum strike new peace tune
- Is aid to South Africa drying up?
- Ethiopian journalist questioned over Zenawi widow story
Beyond the ballot