Taylor appeal ruling date fixedBy KEMO CHAM in Freetown | Thursday, June 14 2012 at 15:16
Former Liberian President Charles Taylor’s appeal against a 50 year sentence will be determined next year, a UN special court has announced.
Chief prosecutor Brenda Hollis, who is currently in Sierra Leone as part of the outreach programme, said in Monrovia on Tuesday the appeal’s determination could have Taylor’s sentence increased or reduced.
Taylor was sentenced on May 30 to 50 years in jail after he was found guilty for war crimes and crimes against humanity during Sierra Leone's 11 year civil war.
His legal team was expected to submit a notice of appeal within 14 days of his sentencing, and according to the Freetown-based Special Courts, this had been done.
Following the verdict, the prosecution team immediately announced it was also considering appealing the sentence.
The prosecution had asked for 80 year sentence.
Ms Hollis told her Liberian audience that while Taylor did not physically commit a crime in Sierra Leone, he was responsible for what happened there.
She said the appeal chamber’s verdict would be based on whether the defence team of the former president or the prosecution could prove that there was an error in the trial judges’ verdict.
Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?speak out
Read Story: Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Nigerian deportee demands pay for Kenyan officials' release
- Ethiopia secures $300m Indian rail loan
- 7 Kenyans held in Lagos over deported 'Nigerian'
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Clinton to visit Senegal ahead of Obama
- Nile saga: Ethiopia and Egypt now favour dialogue
- Nairobi in pictures: Past and present
- Hospital quiet on Museveni birth records mystery
Beyond the ballot