Tight security at Obama granny's Kenya home By ERIC OLOO in Siaya, Kenya | Monday, May 2 2011 at 18:43
Security has been heightened at the Kogelo rural home of the grandmother of US President Barack Obama following the killing of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
More police officers have been deployed to man Mama Sarah Obama's in homestead western Kenya following fears of a terrorist attack in retaliation for the killing of Osama by US special forces.
According to the local Siaya police boss Stephen Cheteka, they decided to beef-up security for the relatives of the US President after receiving threats of a planned terrorist attack three days ago.
“We received reports of plans to attack the home of Mama Sarah Obama three days ago and we immediately put in place adequate security measures,” Mr Cheteka said.
The police boss added that the home would be under round-the-clock surveillance, adding that all visitors would be subjected to a thorough screening.
He, however, assured the public that there was no cause for alarm as the family of Mama Sarah Obama had been well informed of the security measures.
Local leaders, led by former Siaya Mayor Obiero Otare, expressed fears that the Kogelo home of the Obama granny could be the target of terrorist attack, especially now that reports indicated that terrorists had penetrated into Kenyan territory.
“Security must be beefed up at the home and the surrounding environs lest we become the next target of terrorists,” observed Mlr Otare.
How will you celebrate the 2014 Christmas?speak out
Read Story: How will you celebrate the 2014 Christmas?
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Ghanaian official dismisses criticism over wife's coat on state visit
- Kenya to expand national secondary school system
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- The soldiers without enough weapons to fight jihadists
- Tanzania bans ‘The EastAfrican’ over coverage of govt, registration
- Officials hint at plan for Kagame third term
- Sierra Leone rapper in double trouble