UN to investigate 'mass killings' in Madagascar By RIVONALA RAZAFISON in Antananarivo | Friday, November 30 2012 at 10:18
The United Nations together with the Malagasy Government will investigate allegations of widespread killings of civilians over cattle theft in the southern region of Anosy, an official has said.
The decision was announced on Wednesday afternoon after a meeting between senior governmental officials and diplomats at the office of the Prime Minister in the capital Antananarivo.
This follows claims by Amnesty International that the ongoing ‘Operation Tandroka’, which started in September, had seen 40 cattle thieves killed and 76 arrested in Anosy.
In September, Madagascar President Andry Rajoelina launched a special army unit to neutralise the bandits who had been terrorising residents in the area.
According to a press release sent to newsrooms, officials from the UN, the European Union (EU) and the Southern African Development Community (SADC) also attended the meeting.
The international community is now worried that the insecurity in the region could affect next year’s General Election and other donor projects.
“The situation could affect projects funded by donors. We hope a solution will be found soon,” The EU envoy to Antananarivo, Mr Leonidas Tezapsidis said in the statement.
Prime Minister Jean-Omer Beriziky assured the diplomats that investigations would be launched into the allegations.
“Probes will be conducted in the regions prone to banditry,” he said.
Suggest ways to counter the rising global terrorismspeak out
Read Story: Suggest ways to counter the rising global terrorism