US hits more DRC rebel leaders with sanctions By AFP | Tuesday, December 18 2012 at 19:29
The US set sanctions Tuesday on two top officials of the M23 rebels in DR Congo, saying they both made use of child soldiers and singled out children as targets.
The US Treasury said Baudoin Ngaruye and Innocent Kaina are senior leaders of the Mouvement du 23 Mars (M23) militants, who control part of DR Congo's turbulent east.
The Treasury said they were listed under US financial sanctions "for their involvement in the recruitment and use of child soldiers in the conflict in the DRC and for being leaders of a group that is impeding the disarmament, repatriation, or resettlement of combatants".
It also accused Ngaruye of targeting children in the conflict in DR Congo, "including through killing, maiming, and sexual violence which violate international law".
Both were put on a travel blacklist and assets freeze list by the UN Security Council DRC Sanctions Committee on November 30.
"M23 leaders Ngaruye and Kaina are responsible for carrying our terrible acts of violence against civilians and children in the DRC," said Adam Szubin, director of the Office of Foreign Assets Control at the US Treasury.
In November, the Treasury also set sanctions on M23 chief Sultani Makenga.
The sanctions freeze any assets in the United States or US jurisdiction of those listed, and forbids any Americans from doing business with them.
Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?speak out
Read Story: Does deposed Egyptian President Mohammed Morsy deserve a death sentence?
- Kenyan security forces thwart Al-Shabaab attack in Garissa County
- US hunter shoots Namibian rhino for $350,000
- Tanzania promises free DNA testing
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Two shot dead as the Burundi unrest rages
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Mugabe slams 'bully' South Africa
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- UK rejects Burundi court ruling on Nkurunziza third term
- Lesotho opposition leader flees, claiming assassination plot