Zambia horror crash victims to get mass burial By MICHAEL CHAWE in Lusaka | Monday, February 11 2013 at 12:11
Zambia will Monday carry out a mass burial for the victims of last week's motor accident that left over 50 people dead, state radio announced.
According to the announcement, over 20 of the 51 bodies will be buried in Ndola City in the Copperbelt Province north of the capital Lusaka.
"Twenty one bodies of the Chibombo bus accident will today (Monday) be buried in Ndola at a mass burial ceremony. A Church service will be held at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium this morning," it said.
More than 50 people died after a bus operated by Zambia Postal Services, collided head-on with a truck in Chibombo area in Central Zambia along the Great North Road on Thursday last week.
The road is known for heavy traffic.
The government has declared three days of national mourning as radio and television stations play solemn music.
Authorities said that was the country's third worst accident, the last one of that magnitude being in the 90s when a state operated defunct bus service, the United Bus Company of Zambia, overturned killing 76 people.
State news agency Zanis reported Sunday that most of the bodies were identified, but also quoted Kabwe District Commissioner Patrick Chishala saying most of them were mutilated, making the process difficult.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Two Kenyans admit stealing $3.1 million from US schools
- Portugal confiscates Angolan military officer's $26m assets
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenya leaders' foreign trips 'a nuisance'
- Uhuru Kenyatta and the making of Kenyan history
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Ugandan authorities summon firm over racist job advert
- Bodyguard kills Malagasy minister’s daughter