President Sata to visit Botswana By MTOKOZISI DUBE in Gaborone | Friday, March 16 2012 at 16:29
Zambia’s president Michael Sata is set to hold official talks with his Botswana counterpart President Ian Khama during a three-day visit to the Gaborone early next week.
Sata is expected to arrive in Botswana’s capital on Monday at the invitation of President Khama.
Botswana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Friday revealed that President Sata will officiate at the opening of Mogoditshane Senior Secondary School on Tuesday. The school, located in Mogoditshane town in the Kweneng district of Botswana, first opened its doors to students last April.
The two leaders are expected to discuss bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual concern.
Botswana government spokesperson Jeff Ramsay confirmed the visit.
“President Sata will be here from Monday up to Wednesday. It’s a state visit,” Dr Ramsay told Africa Review.
A day after President Sata’s arrival in Gaborone, the Botswana senior national football team will host the Zambia team which won the Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) in Libreville, Gabon, last month.
The Zambian team has been invited to play the friendly international to coincide with President Sata’s visit.
However, only three players from the victorious 2012 Nations Cup will be in the Zambia team to face Botswana.
The Zambian team's assistant coach Honor Janza confirmed the match had been facilitated by the government of Botswana.
The two countries have close and long-standing ties.
- Three women arrested in US for financing Al-Shabaab
- Former head of state survives as 42 die in twin Nigeria bombings
- Botswana MP threatens to get physical with President Khama
- Conflict dynamics on Kenya’s troubled coast
- Cameroon footballer Eto'o sued by ex-girlfriend over nude photos
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- World Bank advises Ethiopia to devalue currency
- 'Exciting' drug flushes out HIV
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- An American indulges daughter with an African 'kingdom'