Zim woman in Botswana court for breastfeeding neighbour’s baby By MTOKOZISI DUBE in Gaborone | Friday, October 11 2013 at 15:04
A Zimbabwean woman who breastfed a neighbour’s baby without her consent faces a possible two-year sentence for deliberately infecting another person with HIV after she tested positive.
39-year-old Annie Mpariwa appeared in a Gaborone court on Wednesday and the case was deferred to October 24 to allow a second HIV test to be done on the toddler.
The child's initial results came out negative.
Mpariwa was arrested last week on charges of common nuisance and should the child test positive, the charge will be raised to ‘deliberately infecting another person with HIV’.
The mother of the 14-month old baby said seeing her child being breastfed by her neighbour was traumatising.
She alleged that her neighbour snatched the child while she was playing outside and hid her in her room. After searching for the child for quite some time, she went and knocked on Mpariwa’s rented room and got no response.
Upon peeping through the window, she saw her suckling the little girl.
“When I looked through the window I saw her breastfeeding my baby. I was shocked, I nearly fainted,” she said, adding that her breasts were leaking milk yet she is not a nursing mother or pregnant.
The incident comes in the wake of a newly enacted law on HIV/Aids that calls for stiffer penalties on people who deliberately infect others with HIV.
Should South Africa sort out the military confusion in Lesotho?speak out
Read Story: Should South Africa sort out the military confusion in Lesotho?
- Experimental Ebola drug ZMapp '100% effective' in animal trials
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- Zambia's President appears on state television
- Nigerian army 'inflicts heavy casualties' on Boko Haram
- Moi: The passing cloud that stayed
- Is Egypt about to bomb Ethiopian dams?
- Lesotho PM heading home after 'coup'
- Jo’burg, Lagos and Nairobi top Africa’s rich list
- US attacks Al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'