Express wins Uganda league titleBy ANDREW MWANGUHYA | Tuesday, June 12 2012 at 14:26
After 16 years of waiting, Uganda’s topflight league gong finally returned to Mutesa II Stadium, Wankuluku following Express’ 2-1 victory over Bidco at Namboole yesterday.
Yayo Lutimba scored the Bell Super League title winning goals, one from a penalty and the other a free kick, as Sam Ssimbwa turned the Red Eagles from no hoppers to title winners.
As Lutimba sent Mulindwa Kawooya the wrong way, emotions were running high at Buikwe where URA were dominating play against Bunnamwaya but without having a breakthrough, including Robert Ssentongo’s header crushing off the crossbar for the tax collectors towards half time.
And Caesar Okuthi won it late for Bunnamwaya to end any hopes of URA retaining the title.
Over 2000 Express fans were ecstatic on the final whistle as some poured onto the pitch to form scenes of jubilation and others hugged in the stands. After Erisa Ssekisambu won a soft penalty for Lutimba to score on 10 minutes, the utility player guided home another one from a free kick on 50 minutes to send the Red Eagles fans into frenzy. Express finished with 54 points, one ahead of Bunnamwaya. URA collected 51.
- Why Obama is visiting Tanzania
- Another politician for the Kenya Cabinet
- Kisumu, where some folks are eating well, while others are going hungry
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Achebe’s body arrives home
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Eritrea's Afeworki: reviled and revered ex-rebel
- Equatorial Guinea to finance key Liberian projects
- After Berlin Man, two reported cured of HIV in Kenya
Beyond the ballot