Fifa rankings: Nigeria leap 22 places after Nations Cup winBy BBC | Friday, February 15 2013 at 08:52
Nigeria have risen 22 places in this month's Fifa rankings after winning the Africa Cup of Nations for the third time.
The Super Eagles rose to 30th place following their 1-0 win over Burkina Faso in Johannesburg last Sunday.
The Stallions were rewarded for reaching their first major final - with their ranking rising to 55th.
Cote d'Ivoire remain the highest ranked African side, rising two places to 12th overall.
The Elephants' rise in rankings comes despite their elimination at the quarter-final stage, after losing to eventual champions, Nigeria.
Ghana's fourth-place finish in South Africa saw the Black Stars move up seven places to 19th.
Nations Cup hosts South Africa rose 25 places to 60th position after Bafana Bafana's promising showing on home soil, where they exited at the quarter-final stage, after losing to Mali.
- Four killed at TB Joshua church stampede
- It's a tough life for Sierra Leone's gays
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Big Brother Africa star arrested on fraud charges
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Succession: Suddenly, Uganda is up for grabs
- Uganda's 'Daily Monitor' and sister radio stations shut
- Botswana party makes U-turn on Malema's visit
- Iranians to pay $1m for illegal fishing in Somalia
Beyond the ballot