Fifa rankings: Nigeria leap 22 places after Nations Cup win By BBC | Friday, February 15 2013 at 08:52
Nigeria have risen 22 places in this month's Fifa rankings after winning the Africa Cup of Nations for the third time.
The Super Eagles rose to 30th place following their 1-0 win over Burkina Faso in Johannesburg last Sunday.
The Stallions were rewarded for reaching their first major final - with their ranking rising to 55th.
Cote d'Ivoire remain the highest ranked African side, rising two places to 12th overall.
The Elephants' rise in rankings comes despite their elimination at the quarter-final stage, after losing to eventual champions, Nigeria.
Ghana's fourth-place finish in South Africa saw the Black Stars move up seven places to 19th.
Nations Cup hosts South Africa rose 25 places to 60th position after Bafana Bafana's promising showing on home soil, where they exited at the quarter-final stage, after losing to Mali.
Your advice to Namibia's third president Hage Geingobspeak out
Read Story: Your advice to Namibia's third president Hage Geingob
- Pygmies demand end to discrimination in Congo
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- The statue of an imperialist dividing a South African university
- Nigeria votes in crunch presidential election
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- Ugandan singer Chameleon’s brother AK47 dies
- President Kenyatta suspends four cabinet secretaries over graft
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- 14 killed as Al-Shabaab bomb Mogadishu hotel
- Obasanjo dumps Nigeria's ruling party