Senegal set to pick new football coach By BBC | Wednesday, April 18 2012 at 16:35
Senegal expect to name their new coach within the next week, says the president of the Senegal Football Federation Augustin Senghor.
"Will we name him at the end of this week or start of next week," Senghor told BBC Sport. "We have a shortlist, but now is not the time to give names.
"The committee members will meet this week and we will finalise our choice.
"Then we will meet with the new minister for sport to decide who the coach will be for the future."
Senegal have been without a coach since sacking Amara Traore shortly after their first round exit from the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.
The appointment of a new coach, which was delayed by the presidential elections, was originally expected to have been made within the first two weeks of April but has taken longer than anticipated.
"During the election period we thought it was better to wait," explained Senghor. "Now we have the new minister of sport for our country, which was necessary because it is the government official who is in charge of paying the salary of the coach, we will be able to make an appointment shortly."
Although Senghor would not reveal the candidates for the position, he did say that the new coach would be a "charismatic" figure who would command respect from the players.
- Why Obama is visiting Tanzania
- Another politician for the Kenya Cabinet
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kisumu, where some folks are eating well, while others are going hungry
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Ethiopia's anti-female cut crusader honoured
- Achebe’s body arrives home
- After Berlin Man, two reported cured of HIV in Kenya
- Eritrea's Afeworki: reviled and revered ex-rebel
Beyond the ballot