Senegal dissolves basketball association after cheating scandal By TAMBA JEAN-MATTHEW | Thursday, December 5 2013 at 16:25
The Senegalese Basketball Association has been dissolved and its president, Baba Tandian, sacked in the wake of the indefinite suspension imposed last week on the association by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA).
On Tuesday FIBA slapped an indefinite suspension on Senegal for cheating on the ages of players fielded during the 2013 Under 19 world championships.
FIBA also imposed a fine of 500,000 Swiss francs besides the 26 million CFA francs (about $13,000) it had earlier levied on the Senegalese Basketball Association.
The $13,000 fine was imposed on the association for suddenly withdrawing the Under 19 Lionesses from their first world championship when the scandal broke.
Five men and four female players fielded during the championships respectively were aged above 20.
Sources said FIBA immediately launched an investigation following a tip-off from its international surveillance committee.
The sanction also affects the country’s national teams, local clubs as well as Senegalese referees and technicians.
Commenting on the issue on Wednesday evening, the president of the Senegalese Basketball Association’s normalising committee said the act has “seriously damaged the country's reputation”.
In a statement issued in Dakar, Mr Serigne Mboup said he would request FIBA to reduce the severity of the sanctions.
Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentencespeak out
Read Story: Your take on Oscar Pistorius' five-year jail sentence
- Oliver Mtukudzi discloses HIV status
- President Ian Khama faces the challenge of his life but...
- Meet Kenya's richest 25
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Stolen South African electronics being used in Nigeria
- Zambia's Sata leaves for medical check up abroad
- Somalia likely to have large oil deposits - report
- Chinese-built locomotives fail Tanzania trial runs
- Kenya's super rich billionaire's club
- 60 Africans Scramble over Morocco-Spain Border Fence