South Sudan set for football debutBy EMMANUEL MUGA | Tuesday, June 19 2012 at 17:30
South Sudan will make its international debut at this year's East and Central African regional championship, the Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup.
Before that the world's newest country will send a side to next month's East and Central Africa Club championship in Dar es Salaam, according to Nicolas Musonye, the secretary general of the regional governing body.
"They have confirmed their participation; they will send a team called Wau Salaam FC," Musonye told BBC sport.
"We are glad to welcome them as our new members and they have also assured us that their national team will participate in this year's Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup as well."
South Sudan, which only became a member of football's world governing body - Fifa - last month, already has its own league.
Their national side will be made up of players from both the local league and the one in neighbouring Sudan.
This year's club championship will kick off on July 14 in Dar es Salaam and will be sponsored by Rwanda President Paul Kagame for a 10th year.
Under Kagame's sponsorship, the prize money for the event totals $600,000. (BBC)
Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?speak out
Read Story: Should Kenya spend $8.2 million to acquire an office for retired President Kibaki?
- The girl who met Gaddafi 'in hell'
- Kenyan call girls go high-tech
- Nigerian deportee demands pay for Kenyan officials' release
- Ethiopia secures $300m Indian rail loan
- 7 Kenyans held in Lagos over deported 'Nigerian'
- Nile saga: Ethiopia and Egypt now favour dialogue
- Tanzania innovator lands $300,000
- Clinton to visit Senegal ahead of Obama
- Nairobi in pictures: Past and present
Beyond the ballot